We are excited about partnering with you for your research needs. This page includes some of the basic resources you'll need to start the process.
Primary research (also known as field research) is defined as the collection of original data for analysis aimed at discovering new facts and their correct interpretation to draw conclusions, including for program evaluation purposes. Primary research includes various evaluation, measurement and inquiry activities that fall into two categories:
- Qualitative research activities include but are not limited to participant observations, interviews, focus groups, and ethnographies
- Quantitative research activities include but are not limited to controlled experiments, collecting survey and questionnaire data, and product testing
The Research Review Board (RRB) acts on behalf of the Superintendent to review primary research proposed by internal, external, and board contracted researchers. The RRB is comprised of members from Manor ISD who are meant to provide researchers with a clear understanding of the types of research encouraged within Manor ISD and procedures for submitting a research proposal for review. After reviewing the guidelines, please complete the General Research Request Application Form.
There is no right to access Manor ISD students, staff, school facilities or data for research purposes. Access may be granted when determined to be in the best interests of the district. If access is granted, a researcher may only access schools, students, staff, school facilities and data relevant to the research as approved by the RRB.
The RRB meets to evaluate proposals to conduct research. Decisions resulting from the research review process will be emailed to the requestor, as well as to appropriate MISD staff. External researchers may not begin any research activities or obtain data for research purposes without first following the procedures outlined and securing the necessary approvals.
Principles/Criteria for Review
- The proposed research must directly provide educational value to the Manor ISD or the Board of Education or to the field of education generally.
- The proposed research addresses an identified research priority of the district and does not duplicate research already occurring in the district
- The proposed research should not intrude upon instructional time or disrupt the educational process.
- The proposed research must manifest a sound research methodology using valid and reliable techniques.
- The proposed research must document that the researcher or organization has the capacity and experience to successfully complete the project.
- The proposed research must protect the privacy of students and staff and ensure compliance with state and federal laws and well as Manor ISD board policy. The Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is based on the premise that information about an individual student is private and confidential and generally may only be accessed with parent consent.
Research Application Timelines
- General Research Request Application: All materials must be received with the submission in order to be reviewed. Decision letters are typically sent within five-eight weeks of the first Monday after receipt. We recommend submitting materials such that they are reviewed by the Research Review Board (please see RRB calendar for scheduled meetings) at least 90 days before you hope to begin research activities.
- Resubmissions / Modifications / Continuing Review: Resubmissions, modifications, and continuing review applications are reviewed on a rolling basis, in the order they are received. Expect a decision within two weeks after materials are received. We recommend submitting materials at least 30 days before you expect modified research activities to begin, or 30 days before your current approval to conduct research expires.
Research Submission Information
Please use the updated forms available on this website. Please do not use older versions of the application forms. You are required to submit electronic versions of your application, please know that partial applications will not considered complete until receipt of all components of your submission.
- The Graduate Student Research Application or the General Research Request Application Form, as well as supporting document should be submitted via email to email@example.com, along with the $50 processing fee to Manor ISD External Research, Attention: Dr. Christopher Harvey, 10335 US Hwy 290 E. Manor, TX 78653