TEC Chapter 37 governs physical setting and a limited set of requirements associated with the curriculum and teachers:
- be provided in a setting other than a student's regular classroom;
- separate students assigned to the program from those not assigned to the program;
- focus academically on English language arts, mathematics, science, history, and self-discipline;
- provide for the educational and behavioral needs of students;
- provide supervision and counseling;
- require each teacher in the program to be certified in accordance with TEC Chapter 21, Subchapter B; and
- require each teacher in the program with a special education assignment to be appropriately certified or permitted for the assignment.