National Honor Society
The National Honor Society (NHS) is one of the nation's premier organizations established to recognize outstanding high school students.
- In the Spring, each sophomore and junior student who has 3.5 or above cumulative GPA, as determined by the registrar, will receive an application for membership in the National Honor Society (NHS). Students must have been in attendance at Manor HS for at least one full semester to be eligible to apply.
- Acceptance into the National Honor Society is by invitation. In addition to the scholarship, students must have demonstrated evidence of leadership, service, and outstanding character in high school.
- Applicants describe their accomplishments, positions of leadership, and service through community organizations and school activities. They may include sports, band, choir, and other extra-curricular and co-curricular activities. Students will not have an opportunity to revise their applications after they have been submitted.
- Manor High School faculty members who have taught qualified students or worked with them in clubs or other extra-curricular activities will also have the opportunity to comment on their observations regarding each applicant’s character as demonstrated by his or her academic integrity, compliance with school and district rules, and treatment of others.
- Students must meet application deadlines. No exceptions will be made except for catastrophic events (i.e. deaths in the family, unscheduled surgery, etc).
- Once students have submitted an application, the NHS Faculty Council will evaluate each applicant’s leadership, service and character according to a predetermined scoring rubric.
- Accepted students will be notified about mid-April and invited to the induction ceremony scheduled for May.
- As members of the National Honor Society, students agree to continue to excel in their service and leadership roles at the school, maintain their cooperative relationships with faculty and staff, and attend NHS meetings regularly as well as completing the chapter’s service hour requirements.
- Sophomores who are not accepted into NHS will be invited to apply again their junior year provided they maintain a GPA of 3.5 or above.