AVID, Advancement Via Individual Determination, is a global nonprofit organization dedicated to closing the achievement gap by preparing all students for college and other postsecondary opportunities. Established more than 35 years ago with one teacher in one classroom, AVID today impacts more than 1.2 million students in 44 states and 16 other countries/territories. View our AVID Snapshot.
AVID is not just another program…at its heart, AVID is a philosophy:
- Hold students accountable to the highest standards,
- Provide academic and social support, and they will rise to the challenge.
What AVID Does
Simply, AVID trains educators to use proven practices in order to prepare students for success in high school, college, and a career, especially students traditionally underrepresented in higher education.
How AVID Works
AVID brings research‐based strategies and curriculum to educational institutions in elementary, secondary, and higher education. The AVID System annually provides more than 30,000 educators with training and methodologies that develop students’ critical thinking, literacy, and math skills across all content areas throughout the entire campus, in what we call Schoolwide AVID.
- Provides intensive support with tutorials and strong student/teacher relationships
- Teaches skills and behaviors for academic success
- Creates a positive peer group for students
- Develops a sense of hope for personal achievement gained through hard work and determination
As a result, policymakers and educators now consider AVID's mission to be an essential strategy for closing the achievement gap, making college access and success available to all students.
Learn more about AVID’s college and career readiness efforts
, and see our impact